We had a partially successful meal tonight. I switched charcoal brands today. (I wrote about “no more cheap charcoal” earlier.)
I prepared a main dish, bread, and dessert.
- Japanese curry with pork on rice.
- Jalapeño cheese corn bread.
- 12″ sugar cookie.
- The curry came out excellent. I cheated on the rice and used my Zōjirushi. I have had no successful dutch oven rice yet and chickened out.
- The bread was a little overcooked. I should have checked it when I switched the bottom coals to the top (after 20 minutes), rather than waiting until after the full 30 minutes. This dutch oven has been sticking a little. It looks like time to re-treat the dutch oven.
- Failure. I was flying by the seat of my pants here. I had too much top heat and not enough bottom heat. The top was cooked to perfection but the bottom was essentially uncooked.