- Ensure the pot is clean.
- Less is better. Only put enough oil on to make the pot look wet. If oil pools, the seasoning will be sticky, smell bad, and/or rub off.
- Place in the oven, or better, in an outdoor grill with a thermometer and a lid.
- Be aware that seasoning produces smoke and smell.
- Season 450° — 500°F for about an hour.
- Turn off the heat, and let the pot cool on its own.
- DO NOT take the pot out and put water on it, or otherwise do anything to make it cool faster. Rapid temperature changes can crack or otherwise break the cast iron.
Here is an IDOS forum thread that has links to helpful hints about seasoning dutch ovens.